Tree Pruning to Train Young Trees
Training young trees refers to a specific tree pruning method used to establish good form and structure of trees at an early age. The pruning of young trees is often overlooked. Property owners may not think about hiring a tree pruning contractor until trees are large and develop a problem, however, costs at this stage are usually much higher than when tree pruning is done proactively.
Request a free site visit and tree services estimate today!
Tree Pruning Services in Nova Scotia to Train Young Trees
Training pruning can improve aesthetics and structure of a tree. As trees become larger, qualities and flaws are magnified. A small investment of training pruning at a young age can save much time and money in the future. It will reduce maintenance and repair costs and increase landscape effectiveness and help trees have a longer and more useful lifespan. The end result is a better return on your investment.
It is best to start training pruning as early in a trees life time as possible. However a tree should be planted three years in the landscape before any training pruning takes place. The dormant season is the best time to train young trees, unless you are only removing dead, dying, or diseased branches.
Five Steps to Training Young Trees in Nova Scotia
- Remove broken dying, dead, or diseased branches.
- Select a central leader and remove competing branches. If there are multiple leaders competing with each other, select a central leader and remove or subordinate others.
- Select the lowest permanent scaffold branch. This branch should have a good attachment and the height depends on the landscape use of the tree.
- Select scaffold branches and cut back or remove competing branches. Scaffold branches are those that will stay permanently on the tree and forms the overall shape of the tree. All scaffold branches should be structurally sound. Radial spacing and vertical spacing is very important when choosing these branches.
- Select temporary branches. Temporary branches are left for adequate foliage in the crown and to help increase trunk taper. Temporaries should be smaller and less vigorous than permanent scaffold branches to reduce competition.
When to Hire a Tree Pruning Service
Training young trees through tree pruning is the most important type of pruning that will be performed on a tree. This means that a tree pruning service should be considered very soon after a tree is planted.
One cut can change the look of a tree and affect the health and structure of the tree for the remainder of its lifetime. Therefore, proper pruning techniques, timing of pruning and the amount of pruning is very important. Invest in your young trees, and watch your investment grow for a lifetime!
Authored by: Arbor Plant Health Care